Monday, October 18, 2010

Think slavery is a thing of the past? Think again - Home News, UK - The Independent

Think slavery is a thing of the past? Think again - Home News, UK - The Independent: "Thippawal, 36, from Bangkok, paid an agency to bring her to Britain for restaurant work in 2008 so she could send money home for her daughter's schooling. But when she arrived in the UK she was locked up and made to work as a prostitute.

'When I got to Heathrow, the man that met me took my passport. He took me to a house in west London and said I had to work as a prostitute. I showed them the contract which said I had to work in a restaurant, but they just laughed. They said if I tried to leave I would die. They made me work 24 hours a day saying I had to pay off my debt to them for bringing me over – which they said was �65,000. I had to have sex with 20 men a night and some of them would hit me."

No comments:

Post a Comment

AddThis

Bookmark and Share

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

G.A. Afolabi is a progressive blogger based on the Left Coast.